Wewelsburg Castle was built between 1603 and 1609 in Weser Renaissance
style as a supplementary residence for the Prince Bishops of Paderborn.
The triangular castle, which is located in the village of Wewelsburg
(Büren) in the district of Paderborn, stands high on a rock overlooking
the Alme Valley.
Wewelsburg district museum includes three permanent exhibitions:
The Historical Museum of the Prince Bishopric of Paderborn is located in the South- and East Wing of Wewelsburg Castle. It presents the history of Paderborn Land from the time of the first settlement to secularisation in 1802. read more
The contemporary history section Wewelsburg 1933-1945 Memorial Museum with its exhibition "Ideology and Terror of the SS" is located in the former guardhouse in the castle forecourt. It shows in a detailed local history as well as in a general overview both “faces” of the Nazi-"Schutzstaffel": the ideological “Weltanschauung” and the daily reality of forced labour, concentration camp crimes and mass murder. read more
Regularly, Wewelsburg District Museum presents special exhibitions. Please find here all information about current and former special exhibitions! read more